In this fast paced world that we live in, where it seems as though we are being pulled in every direction, how do you find your balance?
We hear the term ‘work-life balance’ which refers to a healthy lifestyle balance between the time and effort spent working, and the time spent with home, family and personal pursuits. Some would say they never get a chance to unwind and are always busy with work and caring responsibilities. Having a balanced lifestyle is essential for optimum levels of physical and mental health.
There are some ways I’ve learnt that a person can find balance in their life:-
1) Take care of your mind and body
a. Get adequate rest
b. Eat healthily
c. Exercise regularly
d. Pamper yourself – get a massage, a facial, take a spa day.
e. Take time to unwind at the end of the day. This can take many forms including meditation, yoga, Pilates, soaking in a warm bath or listening to music. Practise mindfulness.
2) Prioritise – Establish which of your activities is of most importance to you and focus your energy on those. It is impossible to do everything at once so it is essential that a person doesn’t become overwhelmed with trying to doing too much. Learn to say no and mean it. “Don’t bite off more than you can chew”.
3) Remove toxins – This includes people who bring negative energy. Surround yourself with positive and supportive people.
4) Be efficient – Get organised and plan in advance. Create a to-do list and use a planner for appointments, meetings, etc. Build in time for yourself, family and social life. Spending time with family and friends is a great way to recharge and reset.
5) Life doesn’t always go according to plan so learn to be flexible and adjust when things happen unexpectedly. Too much rigidity can led to stress.
6) Learn something new – Take a class, go on a tour or learn a new language.
7) Have a positive mindset – Start each day with the best of intentions. Granted the day won’t always go as planned however it’s important to not allow things to get to you and stress you out. Learn to enjoy life and each moment.
How do you unwind and destress? Post in the comments.